New to Board & Question

ktkendrickMay 18, 2006

My husband & I just moved to Plymouth after living in downtown Minneapolis the last couple years, so this will be our first year that we can garden in Minnesota. I grew up in CA and husband in FL, so gardening here is a little different.

We have several areas in our yard that are pretty well shaded - they get a little sun but not much and it's not usually direct. Currently there are lots of hostas growing but I'd like to put in either vegetables or herbs. Any suggestions on what would grow well in those areas?

Thanks! Katie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meeperx(z4/5 Mpls)

Here's a link that might help. You might also want to consider "limbing up" some of your larger non-conifer trees to get more sunlight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade Plants -- Vegetables

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 5:15PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Hi there and Welcome!
You will find you choices very limited by CA standards- but what does grow here- does it with gusto!
Try- Agasache, Sage, Oregano, Perilla, Chives, Tarragon, some Thyme, Fennels, Mints-
I don't know about vegies much....
Please, be sure to .look at the exchange area of this forum and join us at the swap if you are able- great folks and plants are a certainty!
Julie

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 6:18AM
loodean

Hi and welcome -

Despite what veggies are suggested for growing in the shade, few do much at all. I take care of the garden at Cooks of Crocus Hill in St. Paul and tried for several years to grow veggies that supposedly liked shade but finally gave up. Some areas of the west side of the garden gets 6 hours of sun and I get a decent crop of lettuce, some herbs, and some strawberries. For a new gardener this maybe seem to be alright, but when I compare the yield with my market garden that gets 14 hours of direct sun the yield pretty lame. I suggest you might be able to do some pots closer to the house that you can arrange in sunny areas. Many veggies do well in pots and they also can be very decroative.

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 8:05AM
leaveswave(.)

Hi, Katie. I probably live quite near you. My garden is mostly sun, but I do have some shady areas. Drop me a note if you want come by sometime and get the 2-cent tour.

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 5:08PM
sallym(z4 MN)

Welcome Katie
Sally

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 10:24AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Welcome Katie

Pauline

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™