Raised Bed Groundcover

SaskiaMay 10, 2011

I'm looking for opinions on vinca as a groundcover in a raised bed. I know that vinca can be invasive, but the spot I'm looking to put it (this won't be until next spring) is a large round raised bed (3 ft high) backing up to a concrete porch slab. The reading I've done tells me invasiveness shouldn't be a problem in such a controlled area, but I'd love some opinions before I make a decision.

If more info would help, the raised bed is on a front, west facing corner of the house and currently contains a crabapple tree, about eight years old. It has crabapple blight. I have four crabapples and they all have it, but they're about 2/3 through some sort of treatment program from a tree service. The raised bed has rock, not mulch, and some sort of creeping junipers. I've tried for YEARS to get those stupid junipers to fill in the raised bed, but even though they're healthy, they are very uncooperative so I will be removing both the junipers and the rock and transplanting the whole lot to a large bed under three pin oaks in the backyard. The crabapple will remain in the raised bed in the front and I'd like to mulch the bed and plant a groundcover that will actually fill it in. I need something hardy that can take both sun and shade, and I'd like something that flowers and has nice green foliage. I've had vinca in that same spot before and it really thrived with absolutely no attention paid to it beyond the sprinkler system, although it was in a couple of containers set on the rock ledge of the bed and I basically used it as an annual.

It seems like vinca would fit my needs very well, but I'd really appreciate input from others. I'm not in a hurry to make a decision, as I won't actually be doing this project until next spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

There was vinca here when we moved in 22 years ago and it's still in the same place as when we moved here. It's semi contained and once every two or three years I might have to pull up a plant or two that are creeping out of the semi contained area.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Prepper Expo gardening class
I will be teaching the seed saving classes at the Survival...
little_minnie
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Tips for Growing beets?
I've tried growing beets for 3 years now, every year...
srj19
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Runner Rug: Shag Cream/Beige 2.3' x 11'
Home Depot
Francesca 5 Piece King Bedroom Set in Black
$1,468.00 | LexMod
White Ella Pinch Comforter Set
$69.99 | zulily
Orthopedic 12-inch Queen-size 4-layer Memory Foam / Latex Mattress
Overstock.com
Maiden 25 1/4" High Convex Round Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus