Do you sell chives?

prairiemaid(z3 MB Canada)September 12, 2005

How do you bundle or present it? What do you charge? What is your general response to it? Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiorganic(5/6 SW Ohio)

I do small bundles maybe 1/4 oz that out a rubber band around. I charge a buck a bundle and i sell maybe 3 or 4 bundles a season-chives are not very popular in my area. But they are easy to grow and I mainly grow themn for the CSA members

Bookmark   September 14, 2005 at 6:35AM
jayreynolds(zone 6/7)

I sell a 1&1/2" bundle for $1.00. They are great because they are perennial and fool-proof. Plant a clump of about 6-10 sprigs every 6" on a wide bed, mulch well and start cutting. My best customer is a restaurant, which buys a bunch every week. Still, even if I throw away half of what I pick, I'm only out 1 minute to clip and band a bunch.

I found that the bed needs renovation every other year or else they get crowded. That's an opportunity to divide clumps and pot them up for sale at $3.00/clump! Be sure to mulch chives well, and cut them back at least once during the season, after flowering. Some people have sold the flowers, too.

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 11:02PM
Bob_Piper(NE Oklahoma)

My chives are flowering right now and I am thinking that a few stems of chives in flower might make a nice addition to a bouquet of cut flowers.
I sell the plants in 4" pots but once you have them established in your garden you sure as heck don't ever need to purchase them again so I don't set the world on fire selling the plants. Mine somehow got started in a flower bed and now are trying to take over!

Bob

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Other farming forums???
Does anyone know of any other active farming/market...
rrleesb
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
Wow, this is different!
Thought I would drop in and see what is happening here,...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™