Sweet Woodruff

doucanoeMay 5, 2007

I picked some up today and have seen mixed reviews on it in my searches. Some claim it is extremely invasive, some say it is not. Looks like it is a pest in warmer climates, but possibly manageable here? I have lots of shade, heavy clay soil, and several spots I could let it go nuts if it so chose.

Anyone here have any experience with it that they could share before I settle on a spot to plant it?

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvmydaisies(Lonsdale, MN/ zone4)

I have sweet woodruff in an area that receives some am sun, but not much. I have had it for four years now and it has not gotten out of control, yet. But if it does I guess I will be able to share.

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 9:42PM
juniebug-2006

I've tried growing sweet woodruff two years in a row, and both years it died out over the winter. I guess it being invasive hasn't been a problem for me, unfortunately!

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 10:14PM
birdwing(z4 MN)

I planted a bunch in different shady spots last summer and it's barely hanging
on..my mom has quite a bit in her shady yard but it doesn't seem invasive.

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 11:42PM
doucanoe

Great, thanks! Based on that info I am going to put it in a great spot in my garden!

Then we'll see if I still have it next year, huh? LOL

Linda

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 9:10AM
john_w

It's a spreader for sure, but it stops at the sun for me. Mine is along the east side of the house and has taken over all available soil. It works through hosta and around other perennials with no negative effect. My woodruff fails when it encounters the south side of the house where the sun is stronger.

I've had it in the same spot for years. It marches under everything. Right now it is at its most beautiful with fresh, green leaves and little white flowers. A great little plant.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 10:42AM
leaveswave(.)

a spreader in my yard. just planted it last year in full shade and under a maple, and this spring it's doubled in size...

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 6:42PM
tedb_threecedarfarm(Z4/5)

It doesn't last for me. I think it wants a bit more moisture and less competition.

Ted

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
What vegetables can I still plant from seed as of mid-August?
I just cleaned out the last broccoli, turnip, and cabbage...
nick_b79
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™