First Cider Pressing of the Year

henhousefarmsSeptember 12, 2013

Ran our first cider this week - about 120 gallons total. Had a lousy year in the orchard last year so this pressing is greatly expected by our customers. Sure was hot picking and washing the apples. We have a press but do not have a certified building to work in so we run it down to an Amish orchard that does custom pressing - they press the apples you bring in as you wait so you know that you get back the juice from your apples. Dad's the blend master so getting our own juice back is important to him. Blend was about 85% Red Delicious and 15% Gala to give it a little tang. Makes me think it really is fall.

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy41_1

i want some.please.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 5:36AM
myfamilysfarm

Hope there is some left when we get there. Love the idea about having a custom presser available.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 9:07AM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

Super exciting, glad you had a good apple year, and having a neighbor do the custom pressing is fantastic.

Around here most of our trees produce every other year and this is the off year for many. We have plenty for our own cider but i'm missing the variety.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 11:21PM
henhousefarms

Don't worry, Marla, we are planning on getting another pressing ready this week. The trees really bore well this year but the size and quality are not great so most are going to cider. It's a shame but thus is the way of the world.

Tom

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 9:05PM
brookw_gw

That's a good way to use those apples though. I have sooty blotch really bad this year and really don't want to sell them so ugly. I've really struggled getting good tree fruit. There are just so many bugs, diseases, and critters after them. I do well with pears and Asian pears though.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 3:47AM
myfamilysfarm

Thanks tom, working on this next weekend.

Brooke, do you have pears that we could get a 1/2-1 bushel for canning?

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 1:35PM
brookw_gw

Marla, my trees are only just beginning to put on much fruit. Sorry. All my European pears except for one Bosc are done for the year, and I'm down to a few seckels and 2 kinds of Asian pears. So, no, I have no canning pears. What I have are spoken for. Woodpeckers claimed most of my early pears. Out of one loaded tree, I got 7. There's a lot of stinkbug damage this year, but they have been delicious. Quality Asian pears command a very high price. One local store wants $2.50 apiece. I couldn't dream of charging so much. They're heavy bearers and keep practically forever.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 11:36PM
myfamilysfarm

That's ok, brookw, just thought I would ask. Pears aren't easy to find around here.

My mother had a early old Sugar Pear, and the hornets/bees would invade when they were ready. The tree is long gone, and she's not missing the hornets/bees.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™