What to plant in dry shade

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)May 17, 2014

I want a flower bed outside my office window, One that I can enjoy when I need a break from working at my desk. The problem is that it's on the north side of my house. With trees starting about 25 out, I would like the flower bed on the edge of the trees. SO it's dry, and shady, in the summer our sump pump drains out there, with our seepage in the basement, and laundry water.

I do have a bleeding heart in that area, but it's been there many years, and is still small.

SO I need plants zone 3 hardy, that like clay soil, dry, and shady...........not asking much am I!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doucanoe

I have lots of shade and some of the plants that do best for me are Cicmicifuga, Ligularia, Pulomnaria, Astilbe, and of course, Hosta.

Linda

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 7:53AM
leaveswave(.)

My experience in those conditions has been it's not great for ligularia or astilbe.

Lamiums, vinca, and pulmonaria do well in a similar micro-climate in my yard. Also a spreading geranium and false solomon's seal.
Let's see... and a shade rue, bloodroot, ginger, some ferns. There's a shade phlox, too.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:57PM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

How about a sprinkler?
Any of the Solomon Seal/False Solomon Seal do well in shade.
Uvularia, Jack in the Pulpit, Aralias, Actea, Violas. Lots of things like the shade. And can be a good reason to get outside for a few minutes to tend to them.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:55PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

The Previous Owners, in full drought, had hostas, vinca minor, and spirea on the north side of the house (with large maples, further west, adding more shade).

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 10:00PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

I want to throw out there, that after having had experience with vinca on a 'larger' scale, I would not plant vinca anywhere! There was a small patch of it in the yard at the house where I live in Michigan (moved from MN) and it has spread. It's over much larger areas now and tends to choke out everything! We pull as much of it as we can every spring, but it just can't seem to be controlled.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 8:16AM
kms4me

Iris cristata is beautiful and once established can take dry shade. The leaves are graceful and lovely and look good all spring/summer/fall.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:55AM
garystpaul(4)

The many epimediums would be a good choice, I think, along with the suggestion of geraniums (macrorrhizum, maculatum, and others).

Gary

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 11:45PM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

Cut down the damn maple tree. It's just another form of 'weed'.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:02PM
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

What maple tree? We can't grow them, as often as I have tried they die! we are dealing with a collection of Oak, Pine, Elm, and I don't know what else.......it's a tree line......about 2 acres worth of trees on the north side of the property. Dry and outside my office window......I would to look at something other than trees once in a while.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™