Decimated by Pestilence, Yup I feel like giving up!!

sandra_christieJuly 5, 2007

Tonight I had to yank out all of my crookneck squash plants, it was a sorry mess. I realized something (bad) was up when I went to get some squash and two of the moths were frollicking among the plants. On closer inspection (now I realize that means being MUCH more diligent than I had been) I saw several frass and holes, and each plant had at least 4 grubs in the stems, and numerous eggs all over. I've had some beautiful squash for the past month, so I guess I've had a good run (maybe 50 squash total), but it was a sad task. Just sharing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

So start another crop! You have time before frost to get in another batch. Plus, the extra warm ground this time of year makes germination just 2-3 days instead of the week it takes in spring. (I found that out when I put out some squash seeds in pots a couple of weeks ago. In 5 days they were a couple of inches tall. I sincerely think they'll be blooming in 30 days from seed!)

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 9:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandra_christie

Wow another chance! I think I'll go for it, and I might even miss the squash borer this time if they have gone through their cycles. Fascinating business this gardening, isn't it. Will plant seeds tomorrow!!!
Happy Again in Annapolis.

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™