can I put my dahlias in?

idafrances(4)May 7, 2008

Hi everyone,

I've started nine dahlias indoors. Some of them are 18 inches, some have hardly popped through the soil. So, can I plant them outside now? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spartangardener(z4 MN)

Dahlia foliage is very susceptible to frost, so if you do put them out, figure out how to keep them from freezing if we have a cold night. I'm planning on planting my tubers in pots outside in the next few days, though.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 12:31AM
duluthinbloomz4

The gound temperature has to warm up a little before you can plant dahlia tubers. Hardening them off outside for a couple of hours on nice days wouldn't hurt them, but I wouldn't put them in the ground quite yet.

Memorial Day is usually my target date up here since we're still getting nights close to freezing.

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 9:47PM
ginkgonut(4)

It wouldn't hurt to start acclimating the plants to outdoor temps and especially the sun. Too much sun right away and the leaves will burn (turn a white color). I don't have dahlias, but all the plants I started from cuttings (Impatiens, geraniums) have been outside in their pots for about a week in a mostly shady spot with a few hours of morning sun.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 9:05AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I was at the arboretum today and noted that they have not even worked their big dahlia display bed yet.

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™