Cutting down a maple

techigirl78November 2, 2009

I have what I think is a silver maple in my front yard. It is around 30-40' tall, drops large limbs every year, and has what appears to be iron chlorosis. My neighbor indicated the tree has been in the yard since the 40s. It is also planted directly on the corner where my driveway and the street meet, which I read is very bad, especially for silver maples.

Is there a way for me to confirm that it is a silver maple? I keep looking at leaves, but due to the discloration, it is really hard for me to confirm. The leaves on the small branches that I can reach are also much smaller then ones on higher more established limbs.

Assuming it is a silver maple, if I cut it down can that be done any time of the year? Once cut down, can I replant a different tree in close proximity?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
urbandk

Google is your friend.

leaves
http://images.google.com/images?q=silver+maple+leaf&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=MGfvSoiHL87FlAfhovn_BA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCQQsAQwAA

Bark
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/s/si/silver-maple-bark.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Silver_Maple&usg=__ycpWlP522EPZ2TfGGBp9OoKcga4=&h=135&w=180&sz=17&hl=en&start=16&sig2=Ian-FuPlnN7HkluHbDhkiw&um=1&tbnid=jr3DPrVyaAiR-M:&tbnh=76&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsilver%2Bmaple%2Bbark%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DuX6%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1&ei=VWfvSuPJBZ20NO-UmOgP

when you say cutting it down, cutting it as you mean prunning, or cutting it and turning it to firewood?
I assume the latter, i don't see why not - then why would you care if its a silver maple? , but check with your local building or parks department, especially since you might need to close the street for a bit.

You also might get shoots in the spring off the trunk, just trim them off, once it uses up all its reserves, it'll be gone.

as for planting a new tree, you might want to get rid of as much of the stump and roots as possible, since it might block new root growth of the new tree.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 6:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
techigirl78

It is a silver maple. The city forestry department is coming out today or tomorrow to take a look at the tree. As it is on the easement, it is their tree. I would prefer to cut the tree down. They already prune it regularly as it constantly has new shoots and droops over the street. Hopefully they decide to remove the tree completely.

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks5022004
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Sponsored Products
Herb Cutting Set
$24.99 | zulily
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 48 in. Vanity in Gray Oak with Marble Vanity
Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Amherst Navy / Beige 3 ft. x 5
$53.58 | Home Depot
The Young Scientists Club The Magic School Bus Journey into the Human Body Scien
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Collection Blinds & Shades Cut-to-Width Golden Oak 2 in. Faux
Home Decorators Collection
Home Decorators Collection Blinds & Shades Cut-to-Width Golden Oak 2 in. Faux
Corina Area Rug
Gizaun Art Happy Trails Inside/Outside Full Color Cedar Wall Art - HT2216
$79.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™