My pawpaw sapling survived the winter!

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)May 25, 2011

I planted a 'Sunflower' pawpaw sapling last spring from Burnt Ridge Nursery, and it grew admirably last summer. It added approximately 6" of new growth despite a less than stellar planting by me (I disturbed the roots badly while removing it from the pot). It is planted in a sheltered spot by a row of evergreens, but to protect it for the winter I put a few straw bales around it to form a windbreak of sorts and insulate the soil around it. The remaining 1' of sapling that stuck out above the bales was exposed to the elements until drifted over by snow mid-winter. According to my backyard weather station, our low temp of the year was -22F for one night, along with two other nights at -21F.

Much to my dismay, it just wasn't leafing out this spring. I'd pretty much given up on it until I noticed a few leaves while mowing the yard this weekend! All of it's buds are now opening, even the ones at the very tips that I was afraid would have frozen back.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginkgonut(4)

Good to hear. I have heard these are slow to leaf out. Despite the length of the winter, I had no losses I think, because of the deep snow. Even stuff I planted as annuals that are supposed to be zone 6 survived.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 7:01PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I didn't realize there was one that grew here. Yet another item for my list.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 1:09PM
nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)

Yeah, that 80" of the white stuff was finally good for something after all :-) Just in case, I'm still going to set up straw bales every winter for the next few years to baby it along until it's more established (I've heard that more established plants can become hardier over time).

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 1:59PM
DesiFern

That's good to know ... I planted two this year (One pennsylvania golden and one seedling no name variety) - I'm hoping Minneapolis has a heat island effect enough to sustain them, but just in case I'll protect them this winter too.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 10:14AM
RLGoer

People with pawpaw trees growing in zone 4 should keep in touch, because, once the trees get to the point where they are flowering and can bear fruit, it's hard to find a pollinator (and pawpaws are not self fruitful). The normal procedure for pawpaw growers is to mail each other flowers in the spring once they've reached the male stage (when pollen starts to form in the flowers). We should send around flowers from hardy plants. My largest pawpaw is ten feet tall and fruits, but only because I drove a flower up from southern Missouri last spring and hand pollinated it from the flower (after leaving the flower in the fridge for two weeks or so, because of our much later spring).

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Fairy Garden
If there is anyone that knows anything about fairy...
Minnesota_Grandma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™