Japanese maple id help!

foodandnativesNovember 20, 2012

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help with identification of the variety of this Acer palmatum?

I'm located in Portland, OR. Here, the tree seems to grow 10-15 feet tall. It has a star shaped, palmate leaf 2-3 inches across, moderately lobed, with lobes divided ~ 1/2 or less of the leaf length. Margins are serrate but serrations are not large or frequent. Summer leaf color is solid green. As you can see from the photo, fall color is spectacular.

Photo was sent to me by a friend who saw some outside a shopping complex. If you need more metrics, let me know and I'll get em (also have one in my backyard, but no clue what variety it is).

I'll get back with my guesses after folks have chimed in (so as to not influence results).

Thanks!

-Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Impossible to tell from that sort of distance :-) There are some 700-800 registered cultivars of Japanese maples around and many with only the subtlest of distinctions. There are also countless seedling forms and these have no significant distinctions - they can be in a range of sizes, habits, leaf shapes and colors.

There are probably several dozen named cultivars that fit the general characteristics of your photos/description and any Oregon nursery is a good place to find them. Fall color is only one facet of a JM's attraction - spring color is also often a very strong characteristic. Take note of these trees when they leaf out in spring for any distinctive coloring or patterning. That can help you narrow down the list :-)

FWIW, most generic Acer palmatum seedlings make especially nice little trees. I would not discount hunting for a seedling under these trees and growing it on - you could wind up with a great tree for no money!!

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 3:45PM
foodandnatives

Thanks for the suggestions and information. I'll keep hunting.

-Nick

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 11:41PM
japanesemaplegrower

There is a chart on this site that might help you narrow it down by leaf type, height, color, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Maple Chart

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:22PM
mmajicmann(5b)

Threadleaf Japanese Maple 'Seiryu' (Acer palmatum var. dissectum)???

Here is a link that might be useful: seiryu

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Best Mail Order Nurseries for Japanese Maples
I would like to order a few Japanese Maple trees but...
alameda/zone 8
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™