Dwarf Japanese Maple - Crack where branch meets trunk.

peterw99November 10, 2012

Hello. I just noticed that my Dwarf Japanese Maple has a substantial crack in one of the main branches where it meets the trunk. I've attached a photo, and was hoping that some wonderful tree loving soul could offer some advice on how I can save this branch that amounts to 1/3 of the tree. If I lose this branch, the tree would be irreparably lopsided. Please help! Other than this crack, that branch seems to be healthy and happy. The tree is all of 3 feet tall, and is probably about 3 1/2 years old. I suspect that this crack has been there for some time. Would a small bolt with a few washers be the answer?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

-Peter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denver_blossom

I once had a shrub that split. I tried wrapping the two sides of the branch on either side of the split tightly together with a material that wouldn't cut into the bark. Eventually, the two sides of the split grew back together. I would avoid putting any bolts into the tree.
You might post your question on the Trees forum in hopes that an arborist might see it.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 5:44PM
peterw99

Thanks for the advice. I'll also post this in the Trees forum.

-Peter

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 6:12PM
gardengal48

Bolting or cabling is very common to salvage split branching or to prevent against further damage. There were multiple discussions on this topic here a couple of seasons ago after a heavy, wet snowfall and a lot of damage to weeping laceleaf maples (which tend to accumulate and hold snow in their branches).

Do a Google search on "tree bolting or cabling" - you'll find various resources and videos showing you precisely how to do so. Contrary to what many think, if a split branch or fork is not immediately addressed (within 24-36 hours), the tree begins to compartmentalize amd seal off the injury and if that happens, the split will never grow back together and will remain a structural weakness and liable to further damage.

IMO, cabling or bolting in this situation is the ONLY way to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabling a tree

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks5022004
Kashima maple pruning
First off, I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!...
Justin
Is the trunk on my maple tree rotting?
About 3 years ago we had an early snow and the center...
sands4us
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Maple sap help
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but...
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Astronomy Copernicus Wasabi 2' x 3'
$83.97 | Home Depot
Wentworth Floor Lamp with Nickel Accents
Lamps Plus
Set of Four Medium Off-White Crystal Yarn Ball Ornaments
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
World Map Linen Trunk Set
Overstock.com
20" Accented Dark Brown Square Rattan Storage Trunk
Signature Hardware