Cicadas

momj47(7A)August 7, 2010

What's with all the cicadas this year. I'm in the hills above Baltimore and it's pretty loud this morning. I've noticed the sound for the past few weeks, but it's mostly been background noise, but not any more.

I don't think this is a "normal" hatching year for the usual cicada broods. Maybe some hatched early so they wouldn't be overwhelmed by the mass hatching next summer!

The grandchildren are enjoying them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I'm in Montgomery County and am seeing or should I say hearing quite a few of the Dog Day cicadas but Brood X won't emerge again until 2021.

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 2:28AM
karate626(7A Maryland)

I have seen and heard a few Dog Day cicadas in Scaggsville MD also. They are greener than the 17 year cicadas.

Bookmark   August 10, 2010 at 1:20PM
cynthia_gw

My dogs have been playing with them when we go outdoors at night. Better to have hoards of cicadas than mosquitos I suppose. Yep really loud and constant this year.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 1:36PM
christine97(z7b MD)

If I understand correctly there are multiply types of cicadas, one year, five year, the huge swarms of the 17 yr, etc, so perhaps it is one of the longer year cicadas that are coming out. We have some of them here in Harford County, but we also had some last yr too.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?
Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties...
treehugger101
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
Green winged things
HI all! I see how dead the board is these days and...
CEFreeman
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™