identifying this type of maple please help.

illinigirl(5)November 3, 2013

Hi,
I love these maples that are found in many neighborhoods near me. The home owner says it is a 'burning maple' but I can't find anything of that name on google. The local nursery looked at my photo and says it is a sunset maple. I would like to be 100% sure before I purchase any maples next spring for my new yard.

here it is as of a couple days ago. when it first started to turn color it was a very deep almost burgundy red, then slowly lightened/brightened to this color.

[img][/img]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardens1(5b ON)

My guess is a red maple (acer rubrum) cultivar, or one of the hybrids between red maple and silver maple (acer rubrum x a. saccharinum, known as acer freemanii). There are any number of cultivars of these categories that can give you similar fall colouration.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 12:01PM
texasjaxon(7)

^Exactly what I was thinking...Autumn Blaze.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 11:37AM
illinigirl(5)

thanks,
I was able to photograph the leaves up close and posted them over on the 'tree' board and they confirmed it is an autumn blaze,
thanks!

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 3:46PM
dannygreen(5b)

There is a red maple cultivar called Pacific Sunset. Used in subdivision plantings here where I live. It looks like that is what your neighbor has.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 1:44PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

That is a selling name for one of the Keith Warren hybrids between Norway and Shantung maples - there is no involvement of Acer rubrum.

Leaves of the tree asked about here need to be seen before sure identification - of the species or hybrid it represents - becomes possible. Naming it down to the cultivar level is another matter, not necessarily easily accomplished under these circumstances.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™