Annual climbing vine recommendation needed

flora43May 24, 2009

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions on an annual climbing vine. The location is east facing in a little cove between house and garage, so light shade in the afternoon. Also, it can get pretty dry in that area since the roofline blocks most rain. I would of course water it, but I would like something to thrive there, not just survive (I know, I might be asking a lot). I have morning glory seeds, but it is probably too late to start them, do you think? I will probably just head to a local greenhouse to pick something up for this year. Someone recommended cup and saucer vine, but I read up on it and it sounds like flowers don't appear until later in the summer. I don't have much red in my yard, so cardinal climber will probably be out. Would love to hear your thoughts. . .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heleninramsey

I think morning glories would work really well and you can find them started already in the nurseries, and it really is not too late to start those seeds, they are quick. I have also had good luck with scarlet runner beans, they move quickly too.

Helen

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 9:34AM
regattagirl(4a Minneapolis)

Black Eyed Susan Vine (in yellow or orange) goes crazy climbing and blooming.

Also you could try to find Purple Hyacinth Bean. Bees and butterflies love it. It's too late to start that one from seed though. (I had some seeds germinate 2.5 MONTHS after I started them.)

Why won't you try a perennial? (Just curious.)

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 9:40AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

I'm trying out Spanish Flag this year. It's in the morning glory family but sprays of red-orange flowers. It's supposed to attract lots of butterflies and hummingbirds.

-Marie

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 10:53AM
crocosmia_mn(z4)

Malabar Spinach

Love-in-a-Puff

Canary Bird Vine (Tropaeolum peregrinum)

I second Spanish Flag -- only a part of each flower is red and the overall impression is not red.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 6:39AM
dirtbert(z4)

I'd second the black eye'd susan vine.
I've had them in window boxes that occassionally forget to get watered. Find them almost crispy, water, and within a half hour they are good to go again. Very forgiving plant.
Also, I just started my seeds this weekend, so it's not to late :)

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 9:10PM
mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)

I'll be bringing a bunch of Japanese Morning Glory seedlings to the spring swap. The person I got them from in a swap collected seeds from plants of seed she ordered last year so we may get something really nice or ho hum.
If interested be sure to come to the swap next Sunday.
Will

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™