How do you control a grape vine?

mcgyvr2009i(Schenectady, NY 5b)August 1, 2013

I am removing my grapevine and transplanting it into the wild because they are VERY (commonly) invasive, or (botanically) aggressive, whichever you choose to go with. in my climate. I have the seedless variety. I want to know for the future if I want a grape vine, how to control it so it doesn't take over.

Does it have underground runners? If so, is there a way to control those? Also, if I prune it every year to keep it like a bush instead of a vine, will I still get grapes? Any other information on controlling it is welcome.

I'd leave it in my "edible plants" landscape because I'm willing to try and control it but I plan on moving eventually and when I move away, that grape vine is going to take over and kill my blueberries and possibly my strawberries. So, if you can help me I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Grapes do not make underground stolons that pop up and invade. They are rampant growers however, and are controlled with annual prunings. A good vine in a good year will grow 20ft or more, but this is cut back every year. If annual pruning is not possible or desirable, don't plant grapes. Transplanting a cultivated grape into the wild might not be the best option. If you are living in an area with people who plant grapes, the presence of a grape that harbors pests and diseases might be the bane of their gardening.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Best MD Shade Grass
Hi! Can anyone recommend the best shade grass for MD?...
Glenmonster
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry K
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry K
Nellie Stevens Hollies in Zone 6B?
I am looking for a relatively fast growing evergreen...
jplucas80
Sponsored Products
Arrano 55" Double Bathroom Vanity - White with Semi-Recessed Sinks
Modern Bathroom
Kameron Writing Desk
Home Decorators Collection
Jofran 328-9 Joes Espresso Media Unit
Beyond Stores
WW 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Benjamin Linen Chair - NATURAL
$1,059.00 | Horchow