What flowers are deer proof?

keepitlow(6)August 20, 2013

Deer ate all my plants except for 3 thorny roses. They even tried to strip them, but finally gave up.

Are there any flowers that are deer proof. (not deer resistant, but proof tested!)

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

There are no guarantees. When deer are hungry enough, they'll eat just about any plant they can reach. You may have to adjust your expectations a bit.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 11:30PM
azaleaphile(z7 MD)

So far they don't eat my Lychnis coronaria, marigolds, Corydalis lutea, hellebores, Caryopteris, Amsonia, Eupatorium 'Chocolate', Epimedium, Irises, Weigelia, Salvia coccinea and S. greggii..... I assume you only mean flowering plants and shrubs. I don't do many annuals so can't comment much on them. The deer left my self-seeded larkspurs alone. They really are hoofed locusts!

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 6:03PM
shadysite(8)

The deer have not yet eaten snapdragons, perovskia, four o'clocks, chrysanthemums, particularly leucothoe which is a native, zinnias, various floweriing herbs. For the first time they gobbled up the lilies of the valley! Their desires and preferences definitely change from year to year.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 9:11AM
kimka(Zone 6B)

About the only perennials/shrubs they haven't eaten from my garden are monkshood, foxglove, rose of sharon, hellebores and carolina all spice bush. And of course the poison ivy.

Some years they have beem more all consuming than others.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Port Wenn flowers (Doc. Martin show)
I see these pink flowers on the side of the road often...
maple_man
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry Kahn
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?
Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties...
treehugger101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™