dull sugar maple

kjskjsNovember 10, 2008

I have a young sugar maple (about 3-4 years old, or 2 inch trunk diameter). It has always given what I would call a rather bland, blah yellow to brown fall color in fall. I bought the tree from the National Arbor foundation. What I really wanted was a very bright yellow orange with hints of red color-just like the pictures on some of the recent posts. Do you think there is any hope of the tree getting more brilliant with time or would I be happier replanting a variety from a reputable nursery.

The tree is very healthy and I believe my soil is fine but I'm not impressed with the fall colors at all. (it is consistent year to year).

Thanks,

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Coming from them it would probably be a seedling - a plant raised from seed. Maybe you got a lemon. Best bet might be to buy a replacement in fall, from a local outlet so you can see for sure that it is one capable of coloring well in your vicinity.

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 3:36PM
kaitain4(7)

Fall color on maples trees is evident even in tiny seedlings. If it looks dull now, it will probably look like that forever. I would get rid of it and find a nice named cultivar with dependable color.

K4

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 6:48PM
kjskjs

OK Thanks for the info. I just ordered a "Green Mountain" from Forest Farm. I'll see how this looks next fall.

Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 3:27PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Did Forrest Farm ship it out this fall or they waiting until the spring? I've had EXCELLENT luck ordering from them and they have a great selection.

I think of tree buying as being kinda like dog buying. If you want a tree or dog that's going to do something exactly then buying that named cultivar or will be best. Mutts can be healthier than purebreds in many cases to, so nothing wrong with them.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 8:44PM
kjskjs

Yes, Forest Farm shipped in fall (November). Trees arrived healthy and nicely packaged.
I like mutts too but I'm really after a beautiful bright orange/yellow color. It's amazing how colors differ so much between different sugar maples.

Bookmark   January 10, 2009 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Need help identifying a mislabeled JM
This Japanese Maple I bought was labeled Aconitifolium....
krisgm
7-day season for maple sap?
Here in Southern Minnesota, had an unseasonable warm...
grovestead
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Sponsored Products
Butler Masterpiece Console Cabinet In Antique Cherry
Beyond Stores
Set of Three Women's Suit Hangers with Clips
$96.00 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Larvik Robins Egg Blue 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Southern Textiles Capri Comforter Set - 80EQ712CAP
$339.91 | Hayneedle
Radionic Hi Tech Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Orly 2-Light Maple Sconce
Home Depot