drought, or something else?

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)August 22, 2007

Lots of oaks seem to be covered in brown leaves in my area (Howard County, MD) and I'm not sure if it's drought, or oak wilt or something?

Other trees have lost leaves too, some maples, and when I was at Dulles Airport last weekend, I saw some Callery Pears IN FULL BLOOM! The only thing I can think of is that they defoliated and then got watered either by rain or a late-arriving irrigation crew. Will those survive the winter, or will they be so thrown off they don't survive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patapscomike

I'm in Ho Co too. It's the drought. Trees will cast off a lot of their leaves in response to drought, starting with the shade leaves on the inside and bottom of the tree. But unless they are newly planted, they will be fine. There is no drought that would kill a healthy oak tree.

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 9:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rian(7va)

It is probably just the extra dry July and early August. But my neighbor lost a huge, formerly healthy oak tree.

There is a disease called sudden oak death that may have come to the east coast from California recently with nursery grown rhododendrons acting as carriers. Though, after some research we decided that what was killing her oak was a disease called oak decline which has been in this area since before 1900. Drought makes trees more susceptible.

An internet search should turn up pictures and lists of symptoms of both diseases. All the effort and money she spent trying to save it came to nothing and it had to be taken down because of safety issues.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry K
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Messaging does work
You need to go into your profile under advanced settings,...
Larry K
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
Sponsored Products
Iris Germanica Mother Earth Root - Set of 12
$14.99 | zulily
ZUO Lamps Drought 63 in. Black Floor Lamp 50156
Home Depot
Bayer Advanced Fungus Control for Lawns (10-Pounds)
Overstock.com
Good Ideas Resin Rain Vault - RVT-BLK
$83.98 | Hayneedle
Butterfly Daisy Blend Root - Set of Six
$11.99 | zulily
Iris Germanica Root Mixed 25-Pack
$19.99 | zulily
Live Green Groundcover Stonecrop - Set of Two
$16.99 | zulily
New England Arbors 6 x 6 African Keyhole Garden Bed - VA68239
$499.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™