Spider mites or something else...?

elliekhanNovember 8, 2012

I need some help with my poor maple. I recently did a post complaining about new leaves drying up and dying before they fully matured. Upon closer (much, much closer) inspection, i saw this TINY little white bugs...and I mean, tiny. I could barely see them. I think I need to get a magnifying glass. But they were there, and they were definitely walking around. I also notice the leaves have a hairy soft film on them, and tiny white dot (maybe just dead bugs, who knows).

I had a terrible Afid infestation last year, so I am familiar with what they look like and the damage they cause. These are definitely not them. I think they might be spider mites, or some kind of mite, purely by how small they are. The problem is, the leaves are dying, even more they fully developed. Fortunatly these little bugs have not spread to every leaf on every branch, but it is attacking the most recent growth on the tree, so Im worried it won't grow to it's full potential this spring.

Just a note: My maple is a year old and in a container. I water it 2-3 times a week, as necessary.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of these pests? I have been reading a lot of reports on the internet that Neem oil is detrimental to maples......

THANKS!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I'm going with the "something else" :-) Spider mites produce very fine webbing, usually between the leaves and their branch/stem attachment. The webbing is why they are referred to as spider mites. And they are red, not white, but very tiny......almost microscopic. The best way to determine is to hold a piece of white paper below a branch and shake it gently. The mites will fall off and you can see the minute things in contrast to the whiteness.

Pretty much anything other than water is harmful to JM foliage. It is quite sensitive to virtually any type of insecticidal or fungicidal spray and the use of any of these products often creates a phytotoxic reaction. Just hose the plant down with a strong stream of water. If small enough, you can use your fingers to gently wash off individual leaves. And if it IS spider mites, the increased humidity resulting from frequent spraying of the foliage should keep them at bay. Spider mites prefer warm and dry environments.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Is the trunk on my maple tree rotting?
About 3 years ago we had an early snow and the center...
sands4us
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
Sponsored Products
Simmons Kids Hanover Park Chest - 315050-227
$729.99 | Hayneedle
Swoop Bronze Three-Light Chandelier with 10-Inch Spider Web Glass Shade
$396.00 | Bellacor
Unbranded 24 in. x 3/4 in. Extension Downrod Tuscan Patina 27442
$12.96 | Home Depot
Dotted Pitcher
| Dot & Bo
Pat Chair - LIGHT BLUE
$2,099.00 | Horchow
BYU Cougars Candy Jar
$12.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Jaipur Tan 5 ft. x 7 ft.
Home Depot
Spider Suspension Light White
ModernistLighting.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™