Landscaping with Sycamore trees

williampenn(6)August 31, 2007

I have a small area in from of my house (probably 10ft by 20ft) that seperates my house from the sidewalk. It's an older street and there are five very large Sycamore trees between the sidewalk and street that dump bushels of leaves and sticks all summer long. Thus, any planting we do are constantly raked up and dried out from all the leaves. Those trees are dirty!

Most of our neighboors just have large shubbery in their similar sized areas, but we'd like some color without worrying about the damage of leaf raking almost all year long. I have planted some boxwoods with some success. Please recommed what we can do with this area that is almost constanly raked from May to November.

Thanks - Carlisle, PA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avoirgold(z7 MD)

I use a blower to blow the leaves out from my plant beds then use the tractor to shred them and pick them up. I do agree that they are VERY messy trees. Not just the leaves, but the bark and twigs and branches everywhere! Ugh!

You could try ornamental grasses, taller, upright perennials, or blooming bushes. It all depends on if it is bright shade or full shade. It is hard to find much to bloom in full shade. You normally have to go with interesting foliage plants and play with foliage colors and textures. Upright hostas, ornamental grasses, liriope, sedum, etc.

Jen

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?
Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties...
treehugger101
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry Kahn
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™