Sweet Olive in Philadelphia region?

silverneedleAugust 11, 2009

I would like to plant a sweet olive (osmanthus fragrans) for my mother since it's her favourite, but we are in the surburbs of Philadelphia and I am told that these shrubs can be difficult in zone 7.

Has any one had any success with them in SE PA? Should I wait until spring to give them the best chance of surviving the winter?

Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
braspadya(z7a MD)

I have seen one plant at the National Arboretum in Washington DC grown outside. It was not much to look at & was in a fairly sheltered location.

I would say that you would need an optimal highly sheltered location in Philadelphia. In exceptionally cold weather (under 10 Fahrenheit), you might have to rig a temporary shelter, with twinkle lights.

Hope that this helps!

Dan

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 11:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinsway

Silverneedle, if you search in GardenWeb for Osmanthus heterophyllus in all the forums, especially Shrubs and Fragrant Plants, you will find a good bit of discussion and information about which Osmanthus varieties will do well in your area. Osmanthus fragrans, as Dan pointed out, needs an exceptional spot to survive. The others will do very well in our zone 6b and 7 winters.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 12:41AM
More Discussions
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™