Alternative to normal composting methods?

lclhrvstOctober 23, 2013

I find making compost to be a time consuming and management intensive process. I've been considering the idea of keeping one section of my garden as a organic waste dumping area. And then using this as a part of my vegetable rotation. I would just till the waste into the ground in the fall before planting a cover crop and then wait till next year before planting any crops there, would that cause any problems?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

it works, just like nature does in a woods or that type of area. It will take a bit longer, than turning it. It might take 2 yrs instead of the one.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 1:08PM
trianglejohn

I do that. My acre and half yard produces a ton of waste material. Large bulky stuff gets hauled to the woods across the driveway and everything else gets piled up in long rows in one section of the vegetable garden. It does not completely break down by the following Spring (it would if I spent a great deal of time stirring it and adding water and such). So I rake off the top layer of coarse stuff and til up the nice rich bottom layer that did get broken down. It is so much easier than hauling away every bit of debris throughout the summer.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 2:23PM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

We pile ours up in a bin we made from three sections of that privacy fence so that the neighbors wouldn't have to look at it, we flip it about three times a year with the skid loader. It takes a few years, but we get good results. I'm thinking about adding a couple more pieces of fence to make another bin attached to the first one so we can start a new pile without any new material in the old one, so it will finish up.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 7:14AM
More Discussions
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™