Winter Protection for Japanese Maple

carrie4idaho_growNovember 19, 2009

I live in zone 4 and have planted an Emperor I in my yard. I realize it is a zone 5, but I am wanting to try to winter protecting it and see if it will survive. Does anyone have any ideas that will work? Do you think if I wrap it with burlap can the burlap touch the buds or is it better to form a cage and wrap the burlap around the cage? If I mulch it heavily at the base, does the graft need to remain open? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kjskjs

Carrie,
I'm not crazy about the idea of trying to winterize a tree planted in the ground. The main problem is that as the tree gets larger (and an Emeror 1 should get quite big) it's no longer feasible to build cages and wrap it etc. You wouldn't want to do all that hard work and then have the tree die when it's too big to winterize.

Having said all that, I believe the Emeror 1 is pretty hardy and you're only streching it one zone so you will probably be ok. I would however mulch a young tree heavily (especially if it was just planted). Leave the mulch a couple inches from the trunk. And you could build a small wire cage if deer are a problem until the tree gets big. Another big factor is exposure to wind. If the tree has some good wind shelter it will handle the winters better.
Good luck.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Maple sap help
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but...
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Sponsored Products
Palm Tree Martini Glasses
Classic Hostess
Coalesse | Emu Re-Trouve Highback Chair
YLiving.com
Snowflake Ruby Wallpaper R1442, sample
Walls Republic
Ski Scene Art Print
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Uttermost Winter View Mirror (Set of 3)
Beyond Stores