Plant ID Help --New to Gardening

MinnetonkaJenJune 7, 2013

Hello,

Moved to Huge-Minnetonka-.58Acre-House in Winter (from Small-Seattle-Urban-NoGarden-Condo)...plants are everywhere and I have been busily trying to ID everything and taking out invasives and adding some natives. Need help with a few if you have the time!

Thanks in advance ...

One is green and clumping but seems to be spreading low in a landscaped garden. Pic attached

The other is sending up lots of shoots with reddish stems and greenish leaves with some red-purple in leaves...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I was sitting next to my astilbe and looking at the leaf this afternoon. It reminded me of your photo, so maybe it is astilbe. Is it in a shaded area?

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 12:27AM
windytown(4)

I agree with mnwsgal. It looks like an astilbe. Expect plumes of white to pink to red flowers in a few weeks if the weather ever warms up. Astilbe are a well-behaved plant in my experience. Have fun on your adventure. My lot is less than an acre and I still am amazed at what pops up. :) Please keep posting photos if you'd like. I enjoy IDing plants.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 1:02AM
MinnetonkaJen

So glad you both took the time to ID these! It's been overwhelming to try to figure them all out in my own...

I'll let you know what happens with thiamine once we get some sun! I'm super excited to see them bloom-if so!

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 6:16PM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

Looks lie Aruncus 'Goats Beard' to me. Will produce giant plumes of white flowers in a month or so.
By the way-there is a 'Name that plant' forum specifically for these questions. I use it all the time.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:45PM
Teresa_MN

Hi Jen - I too live in Minnetonka. I've been here for 13 years. Prior to that lived near Cedar Lake in Minneapolis.
Where in Minnetonka are you? I live not far from Ridgedale. Feel free to email me through my member page. I would be happy to help you identify any mystery plants..... although I have a few of my own!

Teresa

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™