Norway Maples for Southeast

forrest30295(7b)December 23, 2006

I am looking for a large maple tree that somewhat resembles Norway Maple with its large dark green leaves and large rounded shape. I have seen scorched Norway Maples in Chicago this last summer when it got in the upper 90s, so I definitely need something that can handle our heat. My backup is Southern Sugar Maple (Acer Barbatum) but I would really like something larger.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

How about a black maple (Acer saccharum nigrum)? Various cultivars of these - which may be listed as sugar maples (A. saccharum) - are promoted as having leathery, tatter-resistant etc. foliage. Maybe one of these would not scorch at your place.

Bookmark   December 23, 2006 at 10:08PM
quirkyquercus

Norway maples are popular here in the Atlanta area only they are not commonly found in retail nurseries but instead from wholesale growers.
Keep in mind that while I do see many mature norways doing fine, I also see many of them that look like ----.
They do pose the potential threat to be invasive so I think you'de be best off with a regular sugar maple. Their native range is somewhat scattered through the atlanta area and there are numerous mature ones in my area so I'm sure you can get A. saccharum to work just fine if you don't need a fast grower. I have 4 of them and none showed visible signs of stress last summer.

Another one that might interest you is A. rubrum 'October Glory' which has a dense rounded to upright oval shape.

Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 7:03PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

For modern selection with fairly typical claims (including resistance to sun scald)...

(Yes, they indicate Zones 3-7. I would be surprised, however, if they are not growing this one on their farm near Portland, OR (USDA 8). Probably seldom as stifling as the southeast US but fairly often in the 90's in summer).

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer saccharum 'Bailsta'

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 2:06PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

...they're talking about scalding of the trunk rather than scorching of the leaves, but the point is tough foliage is a characteristic that comes up repeatedly in catalog descriptions of named sugar maple selections.

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 3:10PM
quirkyquercus

I forgot to mention I have a norway maple that was planted by the builder. It has never looked good and plan to replace it with acer leucoderme.

Bookmark   January 5, 2007 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™