Japanese Maple in MN?

MinnetonkaJenJune 17, 2013

I saw a potted Japanese Maple at the landscape arboretum. Can they be grown here? We loved seeing these when in Seattle and I would love to grow them here if possible. But I don't have much room for overwintering...

If you have one, can you let me know how / here you grow it (and I you have any seedlings growing below that I could buy?)?

Thanks! Jenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KittyWitty(4b)

I just returned one that I bought at Linders... it was a Bloodgood Japanese Maple; They are zone 5. So plant them close to the house. And surround them with bags of leaves. Most require filtered sunlight, so if you have a large tree providing shade, and are good with watering, then you can grow them, given the Japanese beetles don't like them(?). My friend has one 10ft? growing next to their screen porch in NE Mpls, and I am jealous. I had to return my potted plant due to not having enough shade aka filtered sunlight, as the leaves will get scorched. Linders on
Larpenteur has several different varieties, and I chose the smallest less expensive available. $60 (I had a scratch discount so it was half that). They all can live comfortable in containers if you want to bring them inside.

This post was edited by KittyWitty on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 1:34

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 1:33AM
leaveswave(.)

They're iffy growing - or more accurately - wintering over in MSP.

There are Korean varieties that are a bit more hardy and quite similar in appearance.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:07PM
fredjohnson12

No, the Japanese maple won't live in MN. Winters will kill it. You might get a year or two, but that's it. I had one in a pot that lived 3 years and that's with bringing it indoors.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 7:58PM
tomashart(4)

I do not have a stunning pic of my Japanese maple, but it lives in zone 4, exposed, and is a lovely healthy tree

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 11:57PM
kms4me

This one is about 20 years old and approximately 14' x 14'. Though they are not as large or as old, I have another 50 or so in the gardens and about the same number trialing in nursery beds. With the exception of Inabe Shidare, Ukigumo, and Benischihenze (I know I botched the spelling) which are grafted, all have been grown from seed and are on their own roots. The plant pictured is a seedling bought from Rice Creek Gardens and was about 6" tall when I planted it; all others I grew myself. My gardens are north of the Cities.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
What vegetables can I still plant from seed as of mid-August?
I just cleaned out the last broccoli, turnip, and cabbage...
nick_b79
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™