where to buy straw for mulching

sallym(z4 MN)June 6, 2005

I am looking online for places to buy straw for mulching my vegetable garden and I'm not having much luck. It shouldn't be that hard to find straw in Minnesota, right? :) I see bales at Bachman's sometimes (and maybe that's hay, not straw), but I don't want to pay Bachman's prices. Where can I buy straw to use as mulch?

TIA,

Sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leaveswave(.)

I would also like to find a close source. I really only need one bale; how 'bout you Sally?

And isn't there something about straw vs. hay, and seeds?

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 10:24AM
sallym(z4 MN)

I think your garden is bigger than mine leaves, sure about how much you need? I don't know how far a bale goes--mulchwise.
Yes, as I understand it, hay tends to have more seeds.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 10:55AM
karenn3(z4)

Kleirs Nursery, 56th and Nicollet Ave s, Mpls, has bales of hay or straw. I'm not sure which. Hope that helps, don't know where you two live. Karen

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 8:53PM
leaveswave(.)

I'm in Plymouth and I only need it for the raised veg. beds. The rest of the half acre gets wood chips.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 11:01PM
sallym(z4 MN)

thank you, karen

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 12:05PM
Alicia_B

There is a place right on Hwy. 10 north (west?) of Anoka that had straw bales for sale for $4 each. I saw it on my way home from a soccer game in Big Lake.

I, too, am looking for straw bales but I live in Shoreview. I'd love to find a place closer to home. If anyone knows of a source for straw bales in my neck of the woods, please share.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 9:45AM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

$4 is ridiculously high for someone with a 1/2 acre garden so I get free straw around town after fall and at the compost facilities and advertise here and there for it. I can get moldy hay free in large quantities and it is fine for mulch except it makes me get farmers' cough.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:06PM
katkni(4)

If you go to this show on Halloween night, you can get bales for pretty cheap. Plus it's a fun show!
http://barebonespuppets.org/halloween-show/

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 9:46PM
RpR_(3-4)

Drive around the country where they are baling straw and farmers may let you have one bale free or very cheaply but I will tell you now, with the draught straw and hay are prices are going up quickly.

I have seen old hay on farmers net markets for as low as a buck fifty a bale but most is three dollars and higher with new hay going as high as eight dollars a bale.(small bales)
Again with the draught, if it continues, you can kiss cheap hay and straw good-bye.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 1:05AM
RpR_(3-4)

If you are serious about straw, a fellow in Cold Spring is sell straw for three dollars a bale verses seven or eight box stores are charging.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 1:47PM
nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)

I'd suggest you start looking for alternatives to straw and hay at this point, what with the drought and all. Perhaps pick up bags of leaves that people leave on the curb for pick-up this time of year?

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 2:55AM
ecosmarte

We have straw available as waste hay year round. The stems are left over after the grassy part is eaten by sheep. It is currently free for the taking, just email to set up a time - joannay@aol.com. Please specify you are looking for "straw/waste hay' in the email.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:09PM
nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)

I gave up finding straw for my garden, so I just bagged my grass clippings and used those instead. It worked pretty well, actually.

The only problem was, my yard is 1.3 acres, my garden is 60 ft x 25 ft, and my rider doesn't have a bagger. My push mower does.

It took me 2 days to mow my lawn just to get those clippings.....

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Prepper Expo gardening class
I will be teaching the seed saving classes at the Survival...
little_minnie
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Sponsored Products
Domi Chrome Four-Light Bath Fixture with White Glass
$445.50 | Bellacor
Denby Daisy Round Platter - MDA-132
$37.99 | Hayneedle
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Replacement 3-Speed Fan Switch with Pull Chain for
$4.97 | Home Depot
VIGO 60-inch Frameless Shower Door 3/8" Clear Glass
Modern Bathroom
Juice Box Replacement Kit
$6.99 | zulily