ID needed on tomato from swap

gardenpaws_VA(z7 NoVA)August 29, 2005

I got several tomato plants at the spring swap from someone whose plants had become tag-less but had stayed together. Now that I've got fruit, I'm wondering if the grower (or anyone else) ever figured out what was what!

Specifically, I have one which came to me as U (for unknown)-17 . It's a potato-leaf pink, oblate, slightly lobed but definitely not scalloped (the ribs are more noticeable than the indentations), very slight radial cracking, and a conspicuous star at the blossom end. I believe I was told that some of the possible varieties were Marianna's Peace, some sort of Brandywine, and Pruden's Purple.

All assistance gratefully received - it's a good tomato!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alfie_md6

Pruden's Purple is not potato-leaf -- at least not the absolutely, fabulously yummy Pruden's Purple I got from Cecilia (thanks, Cecilia!) at the swap.

(Oh how I hate those in-text ads!)

IALBTC

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 11:19AM
Laurel7286(3b Wyoming)

Pink Brandywine is a potato leaf, and I had some, but I didn't have any Marianna's Peace, so I can't be sure it was mine.

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 8:05PM
gardenpaws_VA(z7 NoVA)

Laurel7286, I'm no longer sure where I heard what, so MP might not have been part of the U- collection, but I got tomatoes from two people. One provided Black Cherry, Akers WVA and a couple of others by arrangement, with names, and the other had an unfortunate contretemps with labels so had lots of plants with various U-designations (plus a smaller number with names). If you were one of my donors, my apologies for forgetting which one you are. I did have (mostly OP) tomatoes myself, also, in little foam cups with the names on the rim.

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Eastern Filbert Blight
I am interested in purchasing Corylus avellana 'Contorta'...
colleensworld
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
Port Wenn flowers (Doc. Martin show)
I see these pink flowers on the side of the road often...
maple_man
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™