Is this OK for protection?

newgen(9 Central California)December 15, 2009

I have a 5-gallon Crimson Queen, still in the pot. I place it under a covered patio, minimal wind exposure. Outdoor temp has been mid 40s, but under the patio it's a few degrees higher. Is that enough protection for the winter?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

No winter protection is required in your zone:-) In fact, I'd move the tree out into the weather so it can receive any natural rainfall (easier than remembering to water regularly). The only concern I'd have would be exposure to strong winds and that would be more focused on when in full leaf rather than dormant.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 6:06PM
newgen(9 Central California)

Thanks for the advice. The trees still has the majority of its leaves, but I suppose they'll fall off any time now. I'll move it out into the open.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 7:10PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Pam always gives good, and well-considered advice. In case you get any prolonged periods of rain, especially if your plants are in a peat-based or other heavy soil, you might want to consider setting the plant up off the ground & inserting a wick into the drain hole to help drain any excess water. Tilting your container(s) at a 45* angle also reduces considerably the volume of perched water they will hold when the soil is saturated.

Al

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™