Anyone growing Austrian Copper rose?

crocosmia_mn(z4)June 30, 2005

I know nothing about roses and never wanted one before, but as far as I can tell from internet photos, this one would be good in my garden because it is orange and looks like a wild rose. Does anyone have experience with it?

Rosa foetida 'bicolor'

Austrian Copper, Rosa foetida Species Rose

Bred before 1596

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MinnesotaSue_z4(western MN)

Yes, I had 3 in my back yard. It is a species rose from 1590, it is considered a climber, dislikes pruning and will tolerate poor soil. It blooms in the spring (it is not a re-bloomer); is winter hardy and can sucker if not kept in check and may 'sport back' to a solid color of red.
I had a round-up happy neighbor that sprayed on a windy day and killed my 3 several years ago. I am waiting for the old goat to end up in a nursing home before I plant anything else back there.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 4:09PM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

My dad had one back in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains in WA State... I LOVE this rose! If I had some more room there is NO question I would have one here. They do very well here, I've seen the odd one about :)

-Marie

hmmm... *ponders enlarging the front bed again...*

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 10:25AM
CeltycMoon_aol_com

There were these roses when this house was purchased by my parents in 1969 faLL. mY YOUNG FRIEND LATER CALLED THEM MY aUSTRIAN COPPERS AND WE LOVED TO SIT IN MY SWING THERE. tHE LOCAL DENTIST CAME EAACH DAAY TO SMELL THEM IN THE ALLEY. i DO NOT UNDERSTAND PEOPLE OR NURSERIES SAYING UNPLEASANT SMELL; IT is RATHER A MUSKY ODOR but not unpleasant; Many people called this Joseph's coat! I believe I have perhaps both. What I hate is that the yellow has taken over somewhat! This I do not care for but they have the same musky scent. If you want true colors, never introduce a yellow! They do bloom once! Rather off and on now! Please consider a Joseph's coat insteade of or as well! Good luck! If you are cold: Bud Union: two inches BELOW!

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™