Identifying Maple trees

thedogsLL(6B)December 31, 2013

Hi, all. I've been trying to find out why my roses are not thriving, and one theory that has been posed is that the roots from a maple tree are affecting them. This tree was planted by the city somewhere around 16-17 years ago, and is growing between the sidewalk and curb on a semi urban lot. It's about 20' high. The rose bed is about 15' from the tree.

I'd like to ask how far from the tree roots could grow, but I think I need to identify the species first, right? I read some of the posts here, and learned enough to know I need to know more. So I went looking on the internet, and there are so many species, I'm not sure where to start. Is there an easy, or at least not complicated, way to identify which maple it might be? It might help to know I am just a few miles northeast of Boston, within about 1/2 mile of the coast.

Thanks for any guidance anyone might be able to offer.
LynnT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

You don't need to know what kind it is, if it is big enough to be suppressing your shrubs that is all you need to know. The most obvious hint is you go to dig where the shrubs are and you find solid mats of maple roots.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thedogsLL(6B)

That helps - Thanks! I never thought of that, duh. I just put in one of the roses in May 2013, and moved some lilies to a different bed, and there was no sign of tree roots anywhere. :)

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™