October Glory Maples close to gunite retaining walls?

deepdirtDecember 14, 2013

Hello,

First time poster here. We recently had some landscaping added to our yard. Our landscaper planted 2 October Glory maples somewhat close to and inside the raised area of a new gunite retaining wall we built. The closest one is about 20 inches from the wall edge. Is this going to be a big problem in the future?

I'm very paranoid about root issues since we had 8 very large redwood trees removed from our yard that were causing big ground/patio problems.

He said they'd be okay since the roots go down instead of out (as in the case of the redwoods) but just thought I'd check with the experts here.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Rubbish: all trees outside of deserts concentrate roots near the surface. While on the one hand coast redwood is basically the biggest tree in the world (when proportions reported for specimens no longer standing are considered) red maple is no small bush either - if you feel the planting locations cannot support full-sized trees growing over 60' high and so on then the maples are not going to work out.

And in California I would probably not give the space to a cold climate tree like red maple, that does not require the California climate - instead planting something that I couldn't grow in most other parts of the country.

If the red maples were their idea then that's two ways they are not giving you the best service (the first being the hogwash about them rooting down, away from the wall, in a manner completely different from the redwoods). Depending on what specific part of California you are in the maples won't necessarily be completely happy on your place as well.

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 11:51PM
deepdirt

Thanks for the follow-up bboy. I'm in zone 9. Yeah the one that is about 20 inches from the wall makes me really nervous just with an expanding trunk over the years.

I'll keep looking for alternatives and dig them up before the spring.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 11:41AM
CEFreeman(DC/MD Burbs 7B)

I just saw this pot and laughed.
Roots down? Huh? They're not tap root trees.
I have a couple of October Glorys and Autumn Blazes. Huge root systems.

Have you ever had a garden & tried to plant something around a maple? First, not only do you have to dig through a spiderweb of roots, the replacement roots will suck the life out of the soil. Hosta and Hellebores are your best bet.

I just had a downspout water pipe run beside my house. I have a tornado-downed maple that was probably 30 years old. They guys are using a chain saw to cut through huge roots more than 15' away.

I'd find a happier place for these trees, even if I had to sell them online. The advice above is wise.

20" OMG. what kind of a landscaper are these fellows?

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 7:12PM
CEFreeman(DC/MD Burbs 7B)

What did you end up doing?

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Maple sap help
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but...
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Sponsored Products
Kyle Okposo-Autographed New York Islanders Puck
$39.99 | zulily
LumenArt | ACL.27 Wall or Ceiling Light
$250.00 | YLighting
Daytona 60" Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Cherry
Modern Bathroom
Marina 1-lt Outdoor Wall Sconce
LBC Lighting
Theodore Polished Chrome and Glass Swingarm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus