a.s. aureum hardiness?

shadygrove(z7 VA)December 4, 2010

Holiday Greetings to All! I'm posting from central Virginia, where there is currently a light snowfall, and I have a young aureum outside braving the elements for its first year with me--it is potted in a clay pot on my deck and is now about eighteen inches to two feel tall. Considerable discussion between boyfriend and myself as to hardiness and when / if ever we should tote the plant into the garage. I would appreciate experience with hardiness. How cold must it be before I bring it in? Thank you very much, knowledgeable maple people.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

In the ground, no issue for you at all :-) However, growing a plant in a container poses entirely different issues. Because containered plants do not benefit from the insulating properties of that large soil mass surrounding their roots, they are much more vulnerable to winter cold. Above ground growth is actually more cold tolerant than the roots so you will want to protect your maple if the temperatures significantly drop below freezing for any length of time. Root damage can occur around 26F.

Either sink the container into the ground or store somewhere cold (but at or just above freezing) during cold spells. It certainly won't hurt the tree to remain in the garage (as long as you can monitor temps and assure it doesn't get TOO cold) throughout winter. Just keep the soil barely moist. Light is not a concern while dormant.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 11:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadygrove(z7 VA)

Gardengal, I thought I had posted a thank-you for your recommendation a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem to have gone through. Thanks for your thoughts--the pot is now sunken into the ground, which is a good thing, as Mother Earth has decided to get really cold here over the past couple days. Thanks again.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™