Bees?

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)June 1, 2009

Has anyone else noticed there are no bees this year? My apples, crabapples and plums are in full bloom. Usually there are so many bees in them you can hear the hum. This year, there is no hum, and I have a hard time finding more than a handfull of bees.

This concerns me!

Jenny P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

Honey bees have been pretty much void around my house for a few years already. On the upside, I have been seeing more bumble bees than "normal". And already I've seen several yellow jacket type bees that I usually don't see until much later Not an upside).

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 7:05PM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

LOTS of bumbles and little wild bees here. I'm keeping my eyes open though for the honey bees I should be getting from the UofM hives. The like to travel to my gardens when thing start blooming. They call it "bee balm" for a reason!

-Marie

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 10:10AM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

I've seen a few here, but it's been cooler then usual and I think the insect population in general is down here. At least so far...

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 11:12AM
guthriegatorfarm

An awful virus has struck bees world-wide. That's one of the problems - but they don't think that's entirely it. Definitely worth being concerned about!

I've been letting two perennial oreganos go wild in my garden just for the bees - that and my mother of thyme are always completely and totally covered in bees once they start blooming. I don't even harvest those ones anymore - I figure the bees seem to need them more than I do. :)

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 3:59PM
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

I do have more in the last couple days, maybe because it warmed up. I have a HUGE flowering crab that is normally covered in bees when it blooms. And I am not talking honey bees, but some bumble bees mostly native bees though. This was the first years it was thick with them. Which is what I noticed.

Jenny P

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 4:58PM
mooja

Plenty around here in Welch and Mississippi river bottoms. I'd say we have more this year than in recent years. We've had more blooms though to. Going to be a bumper crop of wild plums and raspberries, etc this year.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Sponsored Products
Robert Abbey Ant Bee Swing Arm Pharmacy Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Authentic Models Gee-Bee Squadron Mobile
Classic Hostess
Bee de Lys Gold Petite Window Valance
Overstock.com
VegiBee Garden Pollinator - VGP-01
$45.00 | Hayneedle
Ant Bee Pharmacy Table Lamp by Robert Abbey
$247.50 | Lumens