Late (or non) blooming Cape Honeysuckle

Larry K(7a)September 1, 2009

Someone gave me a baby Cape Honeysuckle (Tecomaria capensis) a few years ago at a swap. It does great in a huge pot on the deck, but if (when) it does flower it's not until mid-Sept and then we get to enjoy it for maybe a month before it's time to cut it back so it can overwinter in the basement in a semi-dormant state.

Is anyone else growing these and getting flowers much earlier? We don't have any way of letting it grow normally when we bring it in. Tried that last year, and we did keep the flowers going for another month or so, but the plant was so messy (and eventually lost all it's leaves anyway) that I won't do that again.

Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Larry,

That was me. I didn't know it at the time but this is a short day plant - it won't set buds and flowers until days are around 12 hours - which is about September 21. So it should be a great winter bloomer - if you have the light and space. Time to get a greenhouse :-)

Alternately, if you get it up and growing healthily before June 21, it should have a flush of flowers in mid June. It is not that cold sensitive, so it can go outside in early May. Which also means you don't have to worry about getting it in the house real early in the fall.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 7:57AM
Larry K(7a)

Well that's too bad. Explains last year. Flowered late but brought it inside "whole" and it continued to flower for a while before finally dropping both flowers and leaves in January. But now it's a lot bigger and was so messy last winter so I won't try that again. I'll leave it outside as long as possible to enjoy the flowers and decide next spring if I want to give it to someone with a greenhouse.

Larry

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 10:57PM
Larry K(7a)

Still outside and still blooming, although looking pretty ratty since a lot of the leaves have dropped. Once it starts consistently getting close to 30 at night I'll whack it back and store it in the basement.

Larry

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry K
STILL waiting for spring but starting more seeds anyway
So, what are the chances our temps will stay in the...
zone7patti (7b)
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry K
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Ivory/Gold 8 ft. x 8
Home Depot
Grey 96 x 100-Inch Double Wide Blackout Curtain Single Panel
$75.95 | Bellacor
Emerald Lake Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$89.99 | zulily
Baxton Studio Whitby Linen Modern Tufted Ottoman
Overstock.com
60" POLYWOOD Vineyard Garden Swing
Fifthroom.com