Firecracker vine/manettia cordifolia

kimbyjSeptember 7, 2007

Hello

I just purchased one of these beauties and its in a gallon container with a little trellis. The nursery wasn't able to tell me much about it. I know its a perenial and sun/part shade but how do I winter it over? Should I replant it now or wait until next spring? Should I just re-pot it in a huge pot now? Do I cut it back after it dies and then bring it back out in spring?

I'm so excited about this vine but I'm intimidated b/c there's not much info really.

Thanks

Kim

ps-I posted this under vines too

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynthia_gw

Unless you're in Baltimore City or deep DC where the concrete jungle maybe ups your zone to 8ish, that South American native is unlikely to make it in ground, especially with a fall planting. If you have a real micro climate going on in your yard that gives a lot of extra protection, consider carrying it over indoors and plant in spring when it will have time to get roots down deep before the next winter. Then you might have a chance of getting it through winters in this area. It would make a great patio plant if you pot it up into substantial pot and bring it in each winter.

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 12:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimbyj

Thanks for the advice. That sounds like a good plan: replant it in good pot with trellis and bring it indoors each winter.
Thank you!
Kim

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Raspberries or Blackberries for northern VA
Hi, Well I posted something about honeyberries and...
zendog
Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed
Can anyone recommend a colorful perennial flower or...
kelly21409
My new bed (Hugelkultur & Lasagna Gardening)
So last week I put this thing together. I used materials...
CEFreeman
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™