Lettuce, lettuce everywhere

carmellia(z 4 Minn)June 2, 2006

This is the third year that my lettuce has self-sowed. I have more lettuce than I, my neighbors, my sister, my mother, my friends, my co-workers, can eat! It starts sooo early that I get a full season of stuffing myself with garden lettuce.

I think it is a black seeded Simpson, but I don't remember. I also had romaine which seeded itself in, although the number has declined every year. This year, there will be no more than 6 heads. I guess I will have to buy romaine to sow this fall.

Has anyone had luck with other veggies doing this? I love having this jump start on the season. Carmellia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gamebird

Only the chives, sage and mint take care of themselves, though for two years running now I get volunteer squash out of my compost. What happens is at the end of the year I toss winter squash into the compost heap and it never gets hot over the winter, then in spring I put the compost on the garden. Thus, squash volunteers.

This year I'm trying to eat all the lettuce before it goes to seed, but I didn't plant a whole lot either.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™