Transplanted Phlox Not Looking Good

bobomcdo(z4 MN)June 7, 2009

Hello,

In order to get my tall summer phlox out of the way of some eager daylilies, and to fill a gap in another flower bed, I dug up and moved a clump of tall phlox. Well, stem by stem, the phlox seems to be conking out. I realize I might have done a lousy job of replanting it. We've finally had lots of rain so I don't think it's a watering issue. Any advice? Can I do anything to salvage it? I was trying to save money by moving an existing plant. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Been my experience that established tall garden phlox shock easily when transplanted. Also been my experience that all of a sudden they settle in and perk up. If the weather does dry out, keep them watered. They're pretty hardy and you shouldn't loose them - especially since you transplanted them in a clump rather than trying to separate the individual stems.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 12:30PM
garystpaul(4)

I don't know if this is the best practiceÂI'd be interested in knowing what others doÂbut when moving perennials like phlox, especially at this time of year, I cut the plant down to about 4". Once it's established its root system it'll begin to grow again. GaryStPaul

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 8:40AM
heleninramsey

I agree with the transplant shock theory. I have had phlox do the same.

GaryStPaul...I sometimes cut perennials back when I transplant as well, it depends on the plant, but at this time of year when there is plenty of growing season left, I think that you get stronger healthier growth from doing so.

My two cents...Helen

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™