selling seeds at market

little_minnie(zone 4a)October 26, 2010

Does anyone have ideas on how to market seed packets at market? I have the nice clear 'bagettes' with the seeds and the names clearly written on, but this spring very few sold. I don't think amateurs like buying seeds without photos on the packet even for so cheap. So I have an indoor market next week and want to bring fresh seeds. I am trying to think of a way to show them that makes them more user friendly and noticeable other than in a long box separated with index cards with the varieties typed on.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

Can you find some 'clip strips'? These are the thingys that hang along the aisles. Usually the stores throw them away when new ones come in. I've picked some up at my grocery store back room (I'm a merchandiser also). I use the hooks for my lights. Also If you can get a picture from somewhere, it would help.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 8:08AM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Hmm. I work at a grocery store and can get clip strips. Cool idea but since it is an indoor market I won't have a canopy or anything tall. Might 'borrow' a clip strip for next year though. All my signage materials are borrowed from work or from the trash.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 8:39PM
myfamilysfarm

Minnie, I meant the plastic 'throw-away' clip strips, not the metal ones. I'm sure you won't have to just 'borrow' them.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 9:09AM
andreaz6wv(6b)

Could you print a picture of what it is such as marigold, tomato, green beans, etc... and put on the back of the packet? Or get larger packets that is more like what seeds come in at stores?

Someone here a few years ago said they had packs of tomato seeds. Six seeds per pack and sold them for $1 and they sold well for them.

Andrea

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 4:29PM
jillzee

You might already be including them, but growing instructions might help. I would imagine that an amateur would be intimidated by seeds that just have the name on them if they don't already know how to grow that type of plant.

Just a thought!
Jill

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Wow, this is different!
Thought I would drop in and see what is happening here,...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
purple plants better than green in winter
this is the first full winter season for growing in...
grow_life
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™