Here is another thing I am working out for next season

little_minnie(zone 4a)October 1, 2012

I am using the fall to review the year and get ideas for a better 2013- of course, right? I just do the one Thursday market then had 3 Friday shares, 5 Sunday/Monday and 5 Tuesday. I work on Mondays and Wednesdays and I am busy Tuesday night and Saturday morning.

So I have been working out if I want to add another market and where and what day. The Monday market in St Cloud is not accepting new vendors unless someone quits. (I might drop a day of work or change back to Sunday so that left Monday a possibility) friday is an option in a few towns but it is so close to Thursday. Wednesday market I happen to know is very slow. Most markets south of me toward the metro are Thursday night and Saturday morning, plus they intimidate me.

So that is what I am brewing on. Previously I had just figured on adding more CSAs especially since they take less hours, but now I feel there might be another market with a good fit for me somewhere. I am keeping it open. I wish you could get a market agent like actors do LOL! They could help find a market for you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

I tried to do back to back markets, one of Friday evening then Saturday morning. found out that it was just too much. If I had a good market on Friday, I didn't have enough for the Saturday's customers. I never got to unload/reload due to time.

If it was me, I'd try to add a few more CSA members.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 7:49AM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

I do two markets a week, one on Wednesday the other on Saturday. I have my online market that does a delivery on Tuesday night (in my hometown) and a Wednesday delivery at the Wednesday market.

I tried to do a Wednesday and Thursday markets and I ran into the same problem Marla had. If Wednesday was good, I wouldn't have enough for Thursday. So I quit the Thursday market and focused on trying to sell more at my Wednesday market. I lucked out the year I stopped the Thursday Market, 3 or 4 of the big vendors at the Wednesday market had a bad hailstorm. They didn't have any crops to sell for weeks. I started to gain customers and didn't look back. Now I don't have to worry about saving things back and hoping for a good Thursday market. Not to mention, It is more relaxing to only do two markets a week.

Jay

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 10:28AM
myfamilysfarm

We were doing 3 markets per week, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. It was really hard to figure which weekday would be the better day. Found out that it was usually the day that I didn't bring as much. Now that market is on Saturday only, and the Thursday is in a different location. 3 days per week didn't allow the plants to recoop enough for the next market day. Allowing 3-4 days between markets are the best for the plants.

Marla

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Question about greenhouse ventilation
Hey all, We have a 30' x 48' gothic greenhouse with...
secondspring
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™