White/ pink Trillium

gardener-budding(4)June 15, 2007

I heard once that it is illegal to pick/plant/move trillium. My parents have tons of it up at their lake place in Wisconsin. In fact there is so much of it, that we often lawn mow a lot of it down.

Does anyone know if it is endangered here in Mn, or why I couldn't dig it up and bring it back to my garden?

Just thought I would check!

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

It is against Minnesota law to dig trilliums for sale. It is against Minnesota law to dig trilliums on someone else's property (including public land) without the owner's consent. And that consent might need to be in written form. It is not against the law to dig trilliums on your own land in Minnesota. I don't know what Wisconsin laws say.

People tend to envelop the surrounding land as their own at cabin or lake places. Our land is sometimes taken over by "locals", everything from picking our blueberries to destroying plantlife and and creating irreversable erosion with their ATV's. Please be sure the land where you dig is actually your parents', and that Wisconsin law allows.

Also, realize that what applies to trilliums may not apply to wildflowers in general. Some are more highly protected under Minnesota law, some less protected.

Trilliums are relatively difficult to transplant. Roots can go way down. I have seen it both ways, where substantial roots are more than a foot down, and less than 10 inches. But either way, plants will probably protest transplanting.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 6:11PM
gardener-budding(4)

Thank you so much for the information! It is very appreciated.
The trillium is definatley on my parent's property. In fact they have spread all into the lawn from the wooded areas.
Thank you again!

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 3:00AM
doucanoe

I have a bazillion trillium on my wodded property here in the North Branch area. I have transplanted literally hundreds of them with great success. When whe were preparing the spot where our garage now stands there were loads and loads of them. I moved many of them to other areas of the woods, gave away boxes full. All of the ones I transplanted are doing well. I have also potted up several for GW members and swaps. Have not heard if they are all doing well or not.

They come up in my lawn too. I mow around them until they are done, they are just too pretty, and they only last a few weeks.

Linda

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 10:34PM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Linda - mine are good :)

-Marie

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™