small greenish red berries..what are they?

donnas_gw(7)September 1, 2007

We were sitting outside this evening and noticed that there are small greenish red berries on a tree next door. The berries that I found which were ripe are red, but when the sun hits them, the entire stem of berries look orange. These berries are round and are just a little smaller than peas. They don't droop, they grow on stems straight up. The leaves are elongated, about 2" long, about 1" across, and are pointed at the end. They also have jagged edges, but you really have to look close to see those edges. The veins in the leaves run downward toward the point of the leaf. This is the first year we've seen these berries on this tree. This tree was mostly uprooted a couple years ago and now lays on it's side, but it still produces green leaves in the summer. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post a picture for you. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collectordi(z7VA)

Could be Lonicera maackii. Do a Google image search and see if that looks like it. Lonicera maackii is an invasive pest. I just call it the weed bush.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 1:29AM
donnas_gw(7)

collectordi, I don't think it's that one, but the leaves do look the same. These berries aren't in clusters and are not close together. The stems to which these berries are attached are about 3-4 inches long. There are individual berries on each side of those stems going all the way from the top to the bottom, each about 1/2" apart. I don't remember seeing any white flowers on this tree either.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 11:29AM
avoirgold(z7 MD)

Can you post a picture?

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 11:15PM
donnas_gw(7)

I have a picture coming soon (I don't have a digital camera)

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Flowers that will bloom by June 20th in Zone 7a?
Getting married June 20th and want to grow some of...
Morcar21
Green winged things
HI all! I see how dead the board is these days and...
CEFreeman
Stars on Houses
I was recently in Maryland, and I noticed a lot of...
ImaPseudonym
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?
Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties...
treehugger101
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™