Plant it and forget it crops

ekgrowsOctober 17, 2012

It's been a LONG time since I've posted on this forum! Browsing recent posts, I realized how much I miss it!

So - we have 2 growing locations - one we are at daily, another that we are at when ever we have to be. We are planning on planting crops that need to be picked often (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, greens, zucchini, etc) at the location we are at most often. The other location, we are looking at planting mostly long season crops that don't need much attention - crops that can be harvested pretty much all at once, so we do not need to go there often to harvest. As for crops that we can pretty much harvest all at once, I've come up with the following:

Potatoes

Leeks

Sweet Potatoes

Garlic

Parsnips

Baby Pink Ginger

Winter Squash

onions

I feel like I am missing more obvious things. Any other ideas? We do have drip irrigation, timers, and will be able to check on things a couple times a week.

Thank you for any ideas you might have :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

Beets, Cabbage, Carrots....maybe two times thru the beets and carrots to let the smaller ones grow a bit more after the first harvest

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 10:58PM
rustico_2009

I was thinking those that nature girl mentioned. If you really need the space some varieties of tomatoes have good field holding, roma and grape come to mind. Even some watermelons could be picked on a weekly basis or more, no problem.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 1:25AM
2ajsmama

What's the soil like?

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 8:50AM
ekgrows

Thanks all. The soil is okay - not great. It drains really fast, so we really need drip in this location. We grew cover crops, dumped a bunch of manure, and will be tilling that in next week. More organic matter should help with water retention, but improving soil sure is a work in progress....

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 3:15PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

I think you should do winter squash, onions, leeks and sweet potatoes in black plastic for weeds and definitely forget about them (mulch the leeks on top of the plastic, that is what I do). The other crops straw the crap out of them and you might add kale to that too. Watermelons only need picking once a week IMO so that might be something you could do. Also cutflowers and herbs are options for once a week picking. I have thought about all this because I rent my land and if I lose it and have to drive farther to rent land I would have to change my crops to some you could leave alone and pick once a week before market.

I wouldn't do cabbage because they split when mature but Brussel sprouts and Romanesco can be left all season if you spray Bt once in a while.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 10:11PM
optimistique(8a)

Herbs...any type...I even forget to water them and they are fine... So if there are any spices you want to plant (basil, parsley, cilantro, chives, oregano, etc...), plant them there.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
Wow, this is different!
Thought I would drop in and see what is happening here,...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™