Endless summer hydrangea

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)June 24, 2009

I am going to try growing one of these again. But only because Menards was clearancing one out, it had been hit by frost and looked dead. I could see a lot of new growth on it though! MY win!

Anyway, Now I have the problem of finding a good spot in my yard! My place has a LOT of shade, but I do have an area that gets morning shade until about 1 or 2 pm right now. Then sun until about 7 pm. It would be near my other beds so would be watered regularly. Do you guys think it would live in a spot like that?

I have another location, but the soil there is sandy, It is more full sun, drier, and I already have tall estabished perennials there.

Jenny P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heleninramsey

Jenny P,

My neighbors have them in part sun situations and they ae doing quite well. They sure want to pout in the sun, but they buck up later on in the evening. I have two (I was not going to EVER buy them...LOL...I did) and they are in sun till about 2. Pretty much the opposite of your situation, but with about as much hot sun. I have only had them for a season, but they are doing well, they came up good this spring and they are full of flowers right now.

Good luck, Helen.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 8:55AM
ginkgonut(4)

For my own sanity, I tore out my endless summers that got only afternoon sun now, thanks do a dead boulevard elm. Too much watering and wilting. On a day like today they would be wilted all afternoon and these were in the garden in front of my house. Now those on the east side, shaded by 1pm are a joy.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 7:14PM
debrajeanette

I have 3 of them facing North. They only get sun early in the morning. They are fabulous - get bigger and better each year.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 7:53PM
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

Thank you everyone, I have narrowed the choices down. One of the spots would be good, but I am afraid it's to close to the tree line, where deer come through to nibble on my yard.

The other spots are not as good, so I am still thinking on it. The perfect spot in the yard, would put it an area that would block my favorite veiw from my dining room winder. Ugh

HA HA HA I MIGHT be thinking on it all summer!

Thanks!

Jenny P

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 7:59PM
Nettiesgarden

I planted three last summer in a situation like you described on the west side of my house so that they only get afternoon sun. I mulched them pretty thickly and they don't wilt as much in the afternoons as they did last year. They are covered with small flowers right now- I did give them some liquid fertilizer early last month to help stimulate flowering- something they talked about on "Grow with KARE". I also bought Twist and Shout this year so we'll see how that one does in comparison.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 2:49PM
tammymn(Z4MN)

I have one in full sun that is about 5 years old. It gets 3 ft tall by 3 ft wide. It is blooming beautiful right now.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
red wiglers in MN?
Id like to find some redwiglers as close as possible...
zymguy
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Kelley Farm seed exchange free 3/8/15
Kelley Farm between Elk River and Ramsey will have...
little_minnie
Sponsored Products
Chelsea One-Light Wall Sconce
$20.14 | Bellacor
Venice Hydrangea in Pot
$5.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: United Weavers Rugs Hydrangea Brown 7 ft.
Home Depot
Rhapsody White 54 x 16-Inch Hydrangea Tailored Single Valance
$11.95 | Bellacor
Jane Seymour Hydrangea Blossoms 10 in. Blue Silk Flower Arrangement - JSB262-BL
$160.00 | Hayneedle
Rhapsody Cream 54 x 36-Inch Hydrangea Tailored Two Tier Pair Curtain
$16.95 | Bellacor
Hydrangea Blossom Lumbar Pillow
$19.99 | zulily
20 in. Hydrangea Wreath - 4642
$59.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™