Butterfly bush

eileen123October 9, 2006

I would like some opinions about cutting back butterfly bushes. My hubby does not like to cut back the butterfly bushes each year. They have grown so big. I would think it is better for them to be cut back each year. This year they seem to be leaning to one side because of a bad storm. I would like to have them cut back what do you think? When is the best time to cut them back in the spring or fall? Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Hi Eileen, I used to cut mine back to the ground. I saw a beautifully shaped bf bush in Port Treverton PA. The owner said cut back to one foot and thumb prune if too many buds. I do this each year and always have a good bush. Do fertilize some as they are very shallow rooted. Guess I have told you a lot more than you wanted to know. Steve in Baltimore County.

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 8:25AM
cfmuehling(7b DC/MD burbs)

There's another choice that was given to me.

I was told to let it grow wildly for 3 years. Then, I could pick the 3 strongest stems/branches, prune out the rest and prune up the chosen ones. I'd have a Buddleia tree.

Now, mine are huge and flop, too. I'm planning to move them as soon as the weather frosts, but I'm going to try the tree thing. Maybe. Since I'm moving them out to the side of my property as a wind block, I might just stake them up and let them go!

Love these babies. They make your yard wiggle with life!
Christine

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 9:18AM
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Sic em! Christine

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 4:03PM
eileen123

Thanks Christine and Steve! I am going to convince my hubby to cut them back this year. Hopefully I will not be sorry! They do wiggle with life, Christine. :-)

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry Kahn
Green winged things
HI all! I see how dead the board is these days and...
CEFreeman
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™