fertilizer

oscarthecat(z7MD)October 11, 2005

I just returned from Washington State (Spokane area) and heard much praise for a fertilizer that is chicken manure mixed with peat moss. Anything like this available in mid-Atlantic area? Thanks Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brent_In_NoVA(z7/6 VA)

I am not sure what the point of adding peat moss to a fertilizer would be. Is this a soil amendment that should be mixed in? I know that Lowes carried a product named something like Cock-a-doodle-DOO that contained some amount of poultry manure. I am not sure what else.

This year I started using alfalfa to fertilize my lawn and flower beds. It is too early to really judge the effectiveness but it is fairly cheap and easy to use.

- Brent

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 5:45PM
blueheron(z6 PA)

I don't use peat moss in my garden because it doesn't add any nutrients plus it is very hard to re-wet once it gets dry. It's used a lot in potting soils and the same problem occurs when it gets dry. The water just runs through it without wetting it.

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 9:37PM
DawnStorm(7/MD)

There is something like this available here in MD; I THINK it's called Compro. I don't have the web link, but do a Google search on MD Extension or words to that affect. There's also a product called Leafgro that's readil available. I'll see if I can find info on the Compro and post it here.

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 9:54AM
DawnStorm(7/MD)

Here's the website to the MD garden extension

Here is a link that might be useful: MD Extension

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 10:31AM
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Yes there is such a thing. Fertile-Gro. Pelletized chicken litter. Now the search to find it.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 10:04PM
pjdsr(z7 VA)

Where do you get alfalfa in NoVa? I'm in Mt Vernon.

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 12:14PM
Brent_In_NoVA(z7/6 VA)

Those guys at the Maryland Environmental Service are cranking out all kinds of good products. I do not see fertileGRO listed on their main products page, but here is a link that a Google search turned up that has some information:

www.menv.com/content/fertilegro/onthelawn.htm

Here is a link to with information on the Cockadoodle DOO product that I have seen sold at Lowes...it is listed on Merrifield's web site as well:

www.purebarnyard.com/cockadoodledoo/

I have purchased Alfalfa pellets and Cracked Corn at the TSC in Leesburg.

- Brent

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 1:26PM
bulldinkie(pa)

At my past house I use to run over leaves in fall.grind them up good.I spread this in flower beds,the soil was fabulous.everything grew like crazy,You didnt need a shovel it was great.I also went next door to tree farm I gathered pine needles for all acid loving shrubs.

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Port Wenn flowers (Doc. Martin show)
I see these pink flowers on the side of the road often...
maple_man
Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed
Can anyone recommend a colorful perennial flower or...
kelly21409
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™