Transplanting my Moonflowers

Murphette(7)April 19, 2004

I have planted several moonflowers from seed into a 5" container. They appear to being doing very well, although I think I have far too many in this one flowerpot. Approx 10 plants, but healthy!!! After reading through some of the posts, and hearing how temperamental they can be when transplanting, I'm afraid they may take a turn for the worse. At the moment, each plant is approx. 4" in height. When do you recommend that I transplant them into a larger container, and how would I go about doing this? I'm thinking it might be best to just fill a larger pot with potting soil, and putting the entire plant(s) "as is", and place into new soil. In other words, not separating each plant. I could really use any advice or tips you may have. Also, should I be pinching these back at any point?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
austinl(Little Rock, AR, 8a)

I have 3 in each 4 inch pot and planted the whole thing without separating them. I would use this approach just to be on the side of caution.

Bookmark   April 23, 2004 at 9:06PM
LoveIsBlind(z8b LA)

I just recently transplanted my moonflowers, and I also didn't take them apart. Since I've transplanted them, I noticed that I have new growth. Best of luck to you. I hope that all our moonflowers thrive! I'm so very excited about the blooms! I'll keep everyone posted!

Bookmark   April 24, 2004 at 2:45PM
Murphette(7)

Just this past weekend, I decided to transplant the entire 5" pot of Moonflowers into a larger pot. So far, it seems to be doing well.

Again, not knowing very much about gardening, I used regular topsoil. I thought I read somewhere that they do not like rich/fertilized soil. Any thoughts on the type of soil I should use, or (should have used)?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because they really look healthy!!!

Bookmark   April 26, 2004 at 9:39AM
austinl(Little Rock, AR, 8a)

Regular topsoil that is good draining will probably work well. Let them dry out somewhat between waterings.

Bookmark   May 1, 2004 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Moonflower vine question?
I need help. Anyone knows the name of this moonflower?...
pat44th
Why doesn't my night blooming jasmine fill the air with scent?
It has bloomed a couple of times now, but the scent...
sunrisegirl
Moonflowers
There's a lot of talk about nicking the moonflower...
Sandi Powell
Irish Moss - Help
I have Irish Moss planted between stepping stones....
JimKY
trying the moonflowers inside again
I thought I would try to grow moonflowers indoors again,...
nopets
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™