My Beloved Japanese Maple is Ailing!

potterstreet(08033)October 3, 2012

Hi,

I live in Haddonfield, NJ very close to Philadelphia. I have a very large - thirty something feet - Japanese Maple that takes up half of my side lot. Recently, when looking out of my third floor window, I noticed that the top branches were very sparsely leafed. The few leaves that are on top are very small.

I am worried about it as this tree was one of the reasons we bought this house. It is a showstopper.

Any clues as to what may be causing this and do you think I should get a professional in to look at it? I talked to one landscaper and he said that perhaps it is nearing the end of its life cycle. It's at least 100 years old because I have a picture of our house from around the turn of the century and this tree is in it, albeit very small.

Our street is shady. I get very little sun. Our town is chock full of majestic old trees and has a very active shade tree commission, but I've noticed a lot of trees dying lately, but mostly oaks and maples. Could tjis be related? Thanks so much!!!

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CEFreeman(DC/MD Burbs 7B)

Call the shade tree commission and ask their advice.
If oaks and maples are dying, they'll all ready be concerned. These babies are of the tougher varieties.

The landscaper could be correct. When I bought 10 years ago, there was a HUGE, 1/2 dead oak on the property. Probably 8' around. The definitive answer(s) were that 1) it was definitely at the end of its life, and 2) the drought we'd been having didn't help.

I would also do my best to get close-up pics of the leaves at every stage during the year. Perhaps it can be identified and replaced. If not, since it's so old, perhaps matched. Have you done any research on the house to see if there's maybe an old newspaper article about the tree being planted? JMs weren't common here at that time of the world.

Now, on a probably unrelated note, I lost a Sanzani to a root fungus. Died from the top down. But quickly.

I'll be watching to see what you find. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?
Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties...
treehugger101
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
Honeysuckle bushes and vines, anyone grow them?
Hello.... =) Does anyone have Honeysuckle in their...
gypsysunrise
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™