moon flower seeds, seedlings

ciaobella(Wisconsin)April 25, 2005

I had my first moonflowers in '03, seedlings given by friend. Last year I could not recognize the seedlings when they came up from reseeding (I know some did because I did save one or two), and accidentally pulled them as weeds. So that is one issue I need help with--how to recognize seedlings, especially in a not very well weeded garden. Other thing is can I harvest and start seeds now, after pods have hung on plants all winter in zone 4? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)

Mine germinated in the garden, self-sown just yesterday, here in zone 7 NC! They are easy to recognize. The white outer seed coat is still intact the first couple days after gemination, clinging to the tip of the seedling. The seedling leaves are large and wrinkled-looking like a brain, before they shed the seed coat and open up. When open, each seedling leaf is large, about a square inch, and shaped like a butterfly. They are unusual enough to stand out.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 6:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chuckr30(z5, GR-MI)

You could grow your own from seed then take a pic with your digital camera and save it on your computer.

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Night-blooming cereus...feed?
My Night-blooming Cereus bloomed last year, just about...
delineavit
Moonflower - Blue Moon
I saw some moonflowers at my local nursery that were...
hostarasta
bush moonflowers
I have been looking for bush moonflower seed if anyone...
theresa200
Hybrid Mirabilis ?
This week I discovered a green-leafed four o'clock...
john3
Moonflower plant ....seeds
So when do you remove the seed pod and what should...
Ablinob
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™